Friday, October 15, 2010

Modern Art, Death Star, Maryjane

I wouldn't consider myself an art buff.  I like pictures and portraits, even maybe enjoy them when it's those massive sprawling canvas pieces that stretch from one end of the room to the next. Like oil paintings of life during the age of Enlightment or Romanticism.  I can appreciate that.

But one area which has always thrown me ...modern art.  Edgy.  Abstract.  Geometric.  Digital.  Come on.  Are you kidding me?  I can't wrap my head around that.

Until Neil and I rolled into Phoenix AZ.  We'd planned to meet up with our friends (you can see their backsides below).  I walked into the gallery excited but with extremely low expectations.  I was pleasantly surprised.

We joined a free tour and lucked out when it ended up just being the five of us.  Probably a good thing since we're not easily herded through a room.  We tended to stray off in different directions, drawn to certain pieces without consideration of what the tour guided wanted to show us at first.  But we settled into each other and asked the most obvious Q:  What is modern art?

She gave an answer.  We still didn't understand.  Then she showed us.  It became clearer.




It's about artist perspective and movement.  Or in this case, the ambiguity of flow.  I call this the death star.  Pieces of charred wood taken from a church that had been burned down, this exhibit is assembled by suspending the pieces from the ceiling with fishing tackle.  Now is it exploding?  Imploding?

(Nice calves guys!).

This I thought was funny.  It's called Pot Head.


Well off to run errands and write, write, write!
Artwork housed at the Phoenix Museum of Art.  http://www.phxart.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment